#Based On True Experience
Hi Guys !
Well we all have comes across many cliched articles whereby we have been told How to switch from a free domain to a paid domain or The advantages & disadvantages of switching the domains etc. There is just so much of data available about the same online that this subject has become rather boring to read about because instead of helping the cause , some of these articles confuse the bloggers, specially the newcomers .
So, instead of using any heavy technical jargon I will simply share here , in very layman terms , my very own experience of what exactly happened as I opted for a Premium WordPress domain recently after having used it’s free domain for over two years . Here we go :
Though basically a civil engineer , writing & travelling have been my passion which grew into obsession over a period of time and hence I took to Travel blogging while gradually expanding my horizon to other niches as well.
I initially started out on blogspot but wasn’t getting much traffic . Then after going through a lot of articles online regarding tips & tricks for new bloggers , I concluded that best way to go ahead would be to somehow make one on one conversation with some successful bloggers and listen directly from horse’s mouth. Luckily ,I succeeded in my efforts & based on feedback of some pro-bloggers , I joined WordPress back in late 2015 under the Blog name Inside Out with Rahul Yuvi .
I was advised by most of the bloggers to straightaway choose a paid domain for ‘N’ no. of reasons which I could not understand back then so I played safe & rather opted for a free WP account as I wasn’t even sure then that for how long will my blogging endeavours would last .
Now , after 2.5 years or so , I strongly feel I should have listened to them .
#Advice for Newbies : Always go for a paid domain in very early stages . Why ? Because I didn’t & I regret it now .Please continue reading the post to get the answer to this question.
Some very basic parameters to judge growth of your blog
As promised right at the onset , I won’t use any sophisticated words here but all the bloggers who intend to start their blog or are in the initial stages must know a few basic parameters (though there are many ) which are all SEO tools & which help you judge where exactly your blog is heading and which only decide whether brands will approach you for promotional activities or not . Being a non-software guy , I got to know of them very late but I sincerely wish that my relatively new blogger friends should get hold of these terms quiet early in their blogging endeavours :
- DA (Domain Authority)– Though it is calculated by evaluating multiple factors but in very general terms , DA basically indicates how much traffic your blog is attracting & how well a particular website will feature when ranked on search engine result pages . It grows slowly over a period of time and one needs to keep patience . As your DA crosses 15 , your blog starts getting noticed.
- PA (Page Authority ) – It also shows probability of how easily your page will be found on search engine. The more your page is being looked for or is redirected to from other websites , more will be your PA . Your blog post getting featured on any established portal /website helps in raising your PA.
Besides keep checking your blog site status with respect to these two heads :
a) Moz Rank b) Alexa Rank (Since this blog is intended for some other purpose so I won’t go much into details of these parameters. Just google to know about these in detail)
Why did I feel the need to switch to a paid domain ?
After having published more than 45 posts in 2 years span , my blog was growing steadily with parameters touching following figures :
- DA – 35
- PA – 36
- MOZ Rank – 3
- Alexa Ranking – Global rank around 6 lac & India Rank around 49000 . ( Newbies might think that these ranks are poor but no they actually are quiet good for a 2 year old blog )
So I was really happy but still, one always wants to grow more & more.Hence, I started wondering how & when will brands start approaching me for events , reviews , sponsored posts etc . which led me to promote my blog aggressively on all social media platforms namely Pinterest , Tripoto , Google Plus ,Facebook, Twitter, Indiblogger, Blogadda, Quora, instagram , whatsapp etc.
Such consistent and wide promotion did help me & some portals started approaching me. This went on for next 6 months or so . Initially I felt really happy to have reached a state where I am being acknowledged for my writings but after a while , a thought started bothering me that offers that I was receiving were from relatively lesser known names & portals and for some unknown reasons , established brand names , even the smaller ones were just staying away from my blog despite my repeated attempts to approach them.
Once again experienced bloggers came to my rescue & they advised strongly that now that I have developed some good content on my log , so it’s time for me to go for a paid domain immediately as same would come with many added features and that same is very much the need of the the hour too if I want to get associated with big names because established brands rarely approach free account holders. Probably , having a paid account also certifies a blogger’s seriousness & sincerity towards the content on his blog.
Also , I was suggested that it is always advisable that a blog name features in it’s URL as well which wasn’t there in my case ( Blog Name : Inside Out with Rahul Yuvi ; Blog URL : https://the-passport-souls.travel.blog/ .)
The Main Content : When I paid money for new domain & my website parameters went crashing down !
Having the backing of some super talented & very experienced bloggers, I immediately decided to switch to a paid domain & opt for a new URL which incorporates my blog name Inside Out with Rahul Yuvi .
As I was in the process of making payment , WordPress gracefully gave me an option to retain my old URL (I learnt later that this option to go back to my original URL will always exist) but as advised , I opted for a new URL : https://insideoutwithrahulyuvi.com/
and Baaangggg !!!!! I was finished as every single parameter of my website collapsed and status was something like this :
- DA – 02
- PA – 01
- MOZ Rank – 0
- Alexa Ranking – Global rank around 41 lacs & India Rank around 3.02 lacs
I was shattered and I panicked as I thought my endless hours of efforts to build my blog over last two years got flushed in seconds and I need to start all over again , right from scratch . It was obvious that I would now loose all the content collaborations.
Under such disturbed state of mind, I switched back to my old URL and my parameters were restored . I took a sigh of relief at that moment but in my subconscious mind , I had this pain of not having my blog name in my URL and the affect same will have on the growth of my blog .
After 3-4 days full of anxious thoughts , I connected with same set of blogger guys again and had a detailed discussion with them whereby I got to learn the following :
- There is no reason for me to be happy or boastful about good rankings or parameters of my old URL because they don’t reflect true picture. Actually, those figures were for wordpress.com , my host & not for my own blog in particular .
- Though it took me really long to build old URL but new URL won’t take that long as my old blog URL has already reached to many platforms that will automatically redirect traffic to my new URL.
- In a longer run , having a URL comprising of corresponding blog name will help a lot as it infuses a trust among the readers & brands for that particular blog.
- A paid domain comes with lots of other features which are not there in free domain, including some excellent themes & widgets which make your website look more appealing . You get to add YouTube videos , HTML codes of various applications & what not. All in all , all these add-ons eventually help in brand building.
Ultimately, I went back to new address , https://insideoutwithrahulyuvi.com/ and has retained the same till date .
After about 2 .5 months since I switched to new domain , here’s how my parameters read currently :
- DA – 12
- PA – 17
- MOZ Rank – 1.5
- Alexa Ranking – 1,014,104 (Global rank ) & 65,222 (India Rank)
which clearly show it is gradually growing and heading slowly where I so wish my blog to reach. 🙂
Just need blessings of you guys out there , please wish me luck & keep supporting !
I hope you enjoyed reading this write up and it helps you in some way in your blogging journey .
You may like to read another blog which might prove very helpful specially for beginners in Blogging World :
Would love to hear from you so please do share your feedback in the comments below or here !
Namaste & Take care !!
Read exclusive Europe Travel Blogs here :